A few years back my husband read the book, One Word That Will Change Your Life by Jon Gordon. Jon’s book describes how New Year’s Resolutions and endless goals fall through each year. He chose one word to be their driving force.
My husband was determined to pick a word, me not so much. I made my usual resolution list. I also created a list of goals to accomplish.
Come February, I didn’t know how my goals had already taken a dive into the swimming pool of ‘I tried…again.” The resolution list floating on its back beside those goals.
My husband? He was trekking along with his one word to focus on and focusing he was.
Could he be right? That was a question I liked to think but not say it out loud. Nobody wants to admit failure in three categories; resolutions, goals and husbands being right.
The next year I jumped on that one word train with the hubby.
My first year, I was amazed. The one thing I love about choosing one word to focus on is the simplicity.
Each year I choose a word that connects me spiritually and emotionally. It changed my entire outlooks on the year.
How to choose your one word.
- Prayer. Take time to ask God to direct you to your one word. What does He want you to focus on for the next year?
- Read the Bible for guidance. Reading scripture gives clarity. While reading, ask God to guide you to what He desires you to focus. See what jumps out at you.
- Choose a Scripture. When you have a scripture impressed on your heart write it down. While meditating on the scripture, continue to pray about that one word.
- Choose a word. Then choose a word that makes sense according to the scripture.
- You can switch 3 & 4. You could choose a word and then a scripture. This is what I did this year. A word kept coming to me through prayer, then I went searching for the right scripture.
There are many words you can choose. There is no right or wrong word. There is only one perfect word for you.
Here’s a list to get the thought process going.
This isn’t a full list of possibilities. Only a igniter for your process to choose a word.
I eventually told my husband he was right. That first year my one word was WRITE. God had called me to write many years before but I had chosen to postpone the calling. That first year of choosing my one word sent me on a year of learning, stepping out of my comfort zone, pushing me past limits I had placed on my self and increased a passion I never knew I had.
This one word thing is a great focus. It creates clarity, power, passion and life change.
Try it! I think you’ll like it.
This year my one word is EXPECTANT. I am expecting great things from the Lord. I am expecting Him to guide and lead me where HE desires to do immeasurably more in and through me.
The good works He desires to do in and through me.
“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6
What’s your one word?
What’s your scripture?
Share it with me!
And a very Happy New Year my friend!