In the last few weeks, I have seen more hatred spewed on Social Media than I ever thought was possible. ‘Christians’ or people who categorize them selves as such are throwing flaming arrows as readily as ‘non-believers.’
I want to focus today on what we can do when we feel helpless, hopeless and hot headed.
- Stop! Believe. You are not helpless. God is with you and is your helper and your hope. There is no reason we as believers in a mighty God should allow those feelings to back us into a corner of turning to anger and letting our hot head win out. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1).
- Pause. Pausing before responses gives you a chance to act not react. Reacting is based on emotion. Action works with a plan. You cannot plan in the heat of the moment. Without a plan, you will fail. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3: 5-6).
- Pray. Prayer should be our top priority, but we all know when we read divisive and inflammatory information a gasket blows in our souls and we become defensive for others and ourselves. “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people” (Ephesians 6:18).
- Love others! No matter their race, religion, sexual orientation or political stand. There is nothing in the Bible that tells us to hate others. We can hate sin, but not people. Each person is made in the image of God. If you hate someone for any reason, you hate God. “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love” (1John 4:8).
- Cling to the promises of God. “Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires” (2Peter 1:4).
Peace Hope and Love to all my family, foes and freakishly fabulous friends!
Please join me on Facebook Live, Wednesday, February 1st, at 12 Noon. I will be sharing more about submitting my book to the publishing house. I may need some support after releasing my book-baby. Come, show the love!